1) "Land & Animals: the Stewardship Link." This article examines the
relationship between sustainable agriculture and animal welfare.It includes
sidebars on humane marketing, the cruelty of lean genetics and sources of
information on humane production of livestock. A commentary on the relationship
between humans and farm animals tops off this package.
2) "Another Pair of Eyes." The Minnesota Land Trust takes on the job of making
sure conservation easements are adhered to, no matter who owns the land in the
future. It's flexibility has made the Trust a popular way of fending off urban
sprawl and preserving farmland.
3) Book reviews on "Moo," by Jane Smiley and "Saving the Planet with Pesticides
and Plastic," by Dennis Avery.
4) Information on the latest sustainable agriculture resources, including
"Planting the Future," the new Northwest Area Foundation book, as well as
booklets on pasture farrowing and Congregational CSAs.
5) The latest news on the Land Stewardship Project's work in rural reinvestment,
anti-factory farming organizing and watershed-level management.
6) A listing of field days, meetings and other sustainable agriculture events
taking place this summer.
For a complimentary copy of this issue of the Land Stewardship Letter, please
contact: Rebecca Schon Kilde, Land Stewardship Project, 2200 4th St., White Bear
Lake, MN 55110; tele. Ð (612) 653-0618