The President's Council on Sustainable Development's Sustainable Agriculture
Task Force will be meeting next week to begin to assemble goals and
the recommendations for action that should go with them.
I would appreciate your input to this process. If you have specific
(emphasis on "specific") recommendations for action and/or policy that
will further sustainable agricuture in regard to the goals listed below
PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME BY 3:00PM EST MONDAY JANUARY 30TH.
Recommendations do not need to be constrained to governmental
policies and programs; recommendations can address societal actions, too.
All levels of government and private sector should be considered when
The goal topics are:
1. Economic viability of farms and farming communities
2. Food security
3. Stewardship of prime farmland
4. Soil quality
5. Conservation of water
6. Pest management improvement
7. Technological development and dissemination
8. Water quality
9. Preservation of wildlife habitat and biodiversity
10. Air quality and climate change
Thank you for your input. I regret the short turnaround time but I hope
to hear from several of you.
Dr. Marc Safley