I just discovered this fact sheet on Monsanto's web site:
I was quite surprised that a chemical giant like Monsanto would have
a fact sheet listing the evils of these highly toxic chemicals that
they are producing and pushing to farmers. Some of these facts are
quite astonishing especially when they are validated by Monsanto:
* Number of pesticides presently on the market that were registered
before being tested to determine if they caused cancer, birth defects
or wildlife toxicity: 400.
* Amount of time it takes to ban a pesticide in the U.S. using
present procedures: 10 years.
* Number of active ingredients in pesticides found to cause cancer in
animals or humans: 107.
* Of those active ingredients, the number still in use today: 83.
* Number of people in the U.S. routinely drinking water contaminated
with carcinogenic herbicides: 14 million.
After reading this fact sheet I went back to transcript from ABC's
20/20 show on organics with Dennis Avery and realized how glaring
their lies were. I guess ABC did not bother to check their facts
(even Monsanto would have told them that they were wrong!). Below is
part of the transcript, followed by the facts from Monsanto's fact
[ABC's 20/20 transcript
JOHN STOSSEL (VO) By a small margin, more of the organic produce was
contaminated than the conventional stuff. But the real bad news for
you organics buyers is that the average concentration of E. coli in
the contaminated spring mix was much higher. And what about
pesticides. Our tests surprisingly found no pesticide residue on the
conventional samples or the organic.
DENNIS AVERY They've got us worrying about exactly the wrong thing.
If we've got no deaths from pesticides, and 5,000 deaths from
bacteria, it's pretty clear to me that we should be worrying now
primarily about the nasty new bacteria.
[Monsanto's Fact Sheet on Pesticides]
* Percentage of all food samples tested by the FDA in 1980 which
contained pesticide residues: 38%.
* Of the 496 pesticides identified as likely to leave residues in
food, the percentage which FDA tests can routinely detect: 40%.
CV--- so much for Stossel's claim that there was no pesticide residue
found, 60% cannot even be detected!
* Increase in cancer rates between 1950 and 1986: 37%.
CV--- Thats even more surprising coming from Monsanto. Bruce Ames
claims that there is no increase.
* Number of Americans who will learn they have cancer this year: 1 million.
* Number who will die from it: 500,000.
* Highest rate of chemical-related illness of any occupational group
in the U.S.A.: farm workers.
* Pesticide-related illnesses among farm workers in U.S.A. each year:
* Number of people in the U.S. who die each year from cancer related
to pesticides: 10,400.
CV--- Avery blatantly claims that there are no deaths due to
pesticides, when even Monsanto admits that more than 10,000 die each
I guess Monsanto is trying to prove that we need GMO's, so they are
coming clean on pesticides. Would you trust them that this new
technology will be safer?
Chris Vasilikiotis firstname.lastname@example.org
Berkeley, CA, USA
* the Earth laughs in flowers *
To Unsubscribe: Email email@example.com with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg". If you receive the digest format, use the command
To Subscribe to Digest: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the command
All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Wed Apr 05 2000 - 20:00:26 EDT