A contracted position through Purdue University
Title: Information and Publication Specialist
Location: Indiana Government Center office, Indianapolis, Indiana
As an information and publication specialist, a contracted position through Purdue University, for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Soil Conservation (Division) responsible for conception, writing, editing, layout and production of all informational products of Division programs including monthly newsletter, brochures, publications, displays and exhibits, maintenance and updates to Division's internet website, and video or computer presentations. Specialist works with all programs including Lake and River Enhancement, Stormwater and Sediment Control, Agricultural Conservation, Soil and Water Conservation District Capacity Building, Hoosier River Watch, and Project WET. Provides technical expertise in writing, editing and associated production tasks for other Division staff.
Representative duties includes:
* Designs/creates educational, training informational materials, and exhibits for all programs of the Division.
* Plans, develops, and implements information/marketing strategies in cooperation with appropriate Division staff to further the development, promotion, and visibility of all Division programs and initiatives.
* Serves as editor for all written informational and educational materials created by other Division staff.
* Edits and produces monthly newsletter, Topsoil, for statewide distribution.
* Coordinates program development training for SWCD supervisors and employees.
* Maintains and updates the Division's Internet website.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university or college in agriculture, natural resources, communications, education, journalism, marketing, or a closely-related field and at least three years of applicable experience in natural resource management, communication, information technology or marketing. The specialist should also be knowledgeable and/or understand the following:
* Knowledge of theories, principles, and practices in the area of erosion and sediment control and water quality are preferred.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Advanced computer skills and extensive experience in word processing, data base management, graphics applications, Internet website management, and desktop publishing.
* Specialized knowledge of principles of photography, artistic composition, and technical aspects of photographic/electronic image production.
* Specialized knowledge of technical aspects of display design, layout, and construction.
* Exceptional organizational skills and ability to adapt to and prioritize variable assignments.
* Occasional statewide travel; includes night meetings and overnight lodging.
* Ability to maintain a valid Indiana Driver's license.
Performs duties under overall policy guidelines of Purdue University, Division, and State Soil Conservation Board. Must work cooperatively with many organizations and levels of government to effectively perform his/her duties and achieve the objectives of Purdue University, Division, and State Soil Conservation Board. Specialist must use creativity, ingenuity, and work with multiple disciplines in developing informational and educational products regarding complex natural resource management issues including soil erosion and water quality enhancement.
The specialist is responsible to the Department Head of Agronomy, Purdue University and the Division's Chief of Budget and Personnel. Specialist performs work independently with minimal daily supervision or guidance. Work must be accurate and complete.
Specialist is in frequent contact with other personnel of Purdue University, the Division and other Departments of IDNR, Cooperative Extension Service, SWCDs, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, private consultants, organizations and agencies, media representatives, landusers and contractors, and the general public. All duties must be performed in an accurate, ethical, and courteous manner.
A professional non-tenured position. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. For more information regarding the position contact, Jim Krejci, (765) 494-4795 (office phone); firstname.lastname@example.org (email).
Application Deadline: September 30, 1999, or until suitable applicant is selected.
To apply send a cover letter, resume, transcripts and names, addresses and telephone numbers for three references to:
Dr. W. W. McFee, Head
Department of Agronomy
1150 Lilly Hall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1150
Purdue University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Describe the ESSENTIAL and OTHER responsibilities of this position, in order of importance. ESSENTIAL responsibilities are those functions that the individual who holds the position is normally required to perform and their removal would fundamentally alter the purpose of the position. OTHER responsibilities are functions that are performed as part of the position but their removal does not fundamentally alter the position. (See guidelines for more information.) Indicate the percent of the total time devoted to each responsibility in the space provided. Attach additional pages if necessary.
Representative duties includes:
* Designs/creates educational, training informational 30%
materials, and exhibits for all programs of the Division.
* Plans, develops, and implements information/marketing 30%
strategies in cooperation with appropriate Division
staff to further the development, promotion, and
visibility of all Division programs and initiatives.
* Serves as editor for all written informational and 10%
educational materials created by other Division staff.
* Edits and produces monthly newsletter, Topsoil, for 10%
* Coordinates program development training for SWCD 10%
supervisors and employees.
* Maintains and updates the Division's Internet website. 5%
* Performs other related duties as assigned. 5%
______________________ _____ _______________________ _______
Supervisor's Signature Date Dept. Head's Signature Date
This description identifies the specific duties and responsibilities and indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions with this title. It is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign and direct the work of employees.
To Unsubscribe: Email email@example.com with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg". If you receive the digest format, use the command
To Subscribe to Digest: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the command
All messages to sanet-mg are archived at: