Re: scratchin' chooks and vintage research

Lawrence F. London, Jr. (london@metalab.unc.edu)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 14:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Jane Sooby wrote:

> >I would strongly suggest you go to the University library and pick up some
> >old books on poultry production. ... The research has already been done to
> >demonstrate the effectiveness of various pasture species in non-ruminant
> animal >production.
>
> And, I would add, has already been done on many low-input technologies. The
> North Central region SARE call for proposals last year contained a specific
> request for projects that locate data from old research that can be
> utilized in this neo-organic era. If anyone knows of any such projects that
> were funded, why don't you post a message and tell us what you're digging
> up? I also recommend that folks look carefully at the old ag station and
> land grant bulletins and reports from way back when to glean ideas for
> approaches we can use now--or discard as not worthwhile.

The best list of old farming titles I have ever seen is here:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/index.html
with two pages of bibliography at:
http://www.soilandhealth.orgaglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html
this page contains full text of some out of print books
and
http://www.soilandhealth.orgaglibrary/0103Agribib.html

Found this site while browsing The Sustainable Farming Connection at:
Rural Writings Menu
http://metalab.unc.edu/farming-connection/ruralwri/home.htm

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

"unsubscribe sanet-mg". If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".