Re: Beginning of end of GM foods in Britain...

Douglas M. Hinds (dmhinds@acnet.net)
Sat, 08 May 1999 09:58:30 -0600

Hi,

On 7/05/99 at 8:41 PM Lon J. Rombough wrote:

> ... a corn breeder says that corn pollen doesn't really travel as far as most
> people think. ...almost all the cross-pollination is in the first two rows -
> beyond that it drops off to nothing within a few feet.

The problem is that while this would seem to make the full effects of
cross-pollenization on the environment take longer to be full observable,
no one knows what those results will be - and the over-riding public interest
lies (I firmly believe) in maintaining the biological, evolutionary origins of the
biosphere, at LEAST until the full results are in.

To the degree that gene splicing is a valid technology, it's use should be
limited to correcting pathologies (i.e. providing the gene for making prothrombin
that hemophiliacs are missing. But just for hemophiliacs - not everyone,
since only hemophiliacs need it).

In other words, the genetics of day to day reproduction, whether for business or
for pleasure (i.e. personal use), should continue to be sexual except where an
over-riding interest may require a mechanical / surgical / mircrosurgical, (and patentable) intervention. While that is only reasonable - the job is dealing with
the vested interests, with legislating this moral and ecological issue - as stated
earlier today elsewhere by myself and others.

(That about wraps up my point of view on this issue).

Douglas M. Hinds
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural, A.C. (CeDeCoR)
(Center for Community and Rural Development)
Petronilo Lopez No. 73
Cd. Guzman, Jalisco 49000 MEXICO
e-mail: dmhinds@acnet.net, cedecor@acnet.net, cedecor@ipnet.com.mx

"unsubscribe sanet-mg". If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".