In brief, Monsanto and Dow will develop a GMO fungus "designed" to kill
target plant species. Section 303 is the kicker. Exactly how many sativas are
there in the world? By the way, last one out, turn out the lights. As we stare
up at gassy venus in the western sky at dusk, does anyone wonder if once it
was a planet blue as this, and in one brief flicker science reversed a billion
years of biology?
Western Hemisphere Drug Elimination Act (Engrossed in House )
SEC. 301. ALTERNATIVE CROP DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT.
Funds are authorized to be appropriated for the United States Agency for
International Development for fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001 for
alternative development programs, as follows:
(1) For startup costs of programs in the Guaviare, Putumayo, and Caqueta
regions in Colombia, the total amount of $5,000,000 and an additional amount
of $5,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2000 and 2001 for operation and
(2) For each of fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001 for enhanced programs in the
Ucayali, Apurimac, and Huallaga Valley regions in Peru, $50,000,000.
(3) For each of fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001 for enhanced programs in the
Chapare and Yungas regions in Bolivia, $5,000,000.
SEC. 302. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS FOR AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH SERVICE
COUNTERDRUG RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES.
(a) IN GENERAL- There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of
Agriculture for each of fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001, $23,000,000 to
support the counternarcotics research efforts of the Agricultural Research
Service of the Department of Agriculture. Of that amount, funds are authorized
(1) $5,000,000 shall be used for crop eradication technologies.
(2) $2,000,000 shall be used for narcotics plant identification, chemistry,
(3) $1,000,000 shall be used for worldwide crop identification, detection
tagging, and production estimation technology.
(4) $5,000,000 shall be used for improving the disease resistance, yield, and
economic competitiveness of commercial crops that can be promoted as
alternatives to the production of narcotics plants.
(5) $10,000,000 to contract with entities meeting the criteria described in
subsection (b) for the product development, environmental testing,
registration, production, aerial distribution system development, product
effectiveness monitoring, and modification of multiple mycoherbicides to
control narcotic crops (including coca, poppy, and cannabis) in the United
States and internationally.
(b) CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBLE ENTITIES- An entity under this subsection is an
entity which possesses--
(1) experience in diseases of narcotic crops;
(2) intellectual property involving seed-borne dispersal formulations;
(3) the availability of state-of-the-art containment or quarantine facilities;
(4) country-specific mycoherbicide formulations;
(5) specialized fungicide resistant formulations; or
(6) special security arrangements.
SEC. 303. MASTER PLAN FOR MYCOHERBICIDES TO CONTROL NARCOTIC CROPS.
(a) IN GENERAL- The Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
shall develop a 10-year master plan for the use of mycoherbicides to control
narcotic crops (including coca, poppy, and cannabis) in the United States and
(b) COORDINATION- The Director shall develop the plan in coordination with--
(1) the Department of Agriculture;
(2) the Drug Enforcement Administration of the Department of Justice;
(3) the Department of Defense;
(4) the Environmental Protection Agency;
(5) the Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Activities of
the Department of State;
(6) the United States Information Agency; and
(7) other appropriate agencies.
(c) REPORT- Not later than March 1, 1999, the Director of the Office of
National Drug Control Policy shall submit to Congress a report describing the
activities undertaken to carry out this section.
To Unsubscribe: Email email@example.com with the command
To Subscribe to Digest: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the command
All messages to sanet-mg are archived at: