Food Quality Protection Act
Teige Davidson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:47:08 -0400 (EDT)
In Agrichemical and Environmental News, Issue 126, August 1996, the
author, Alan Schreiber refered to the Food Quality Protection act as a
Trojan Iceberg. He calls it that because the act resembles a Trojan horse,
because at first glance, it has several desirable characteristics like the
overturning of the Delaney Clause. He called it an iceberg because he
believes that since we can only see 10% of it, the remaining 90% that is
underwater will have huge, potentially negative effects. He hypothesizes
that the overturning of the Delaney clause and the eventual implementation
of it will have a negative effect on food production and consumer prices.
He also theorizes that the legislation could hae strong impacts on U.S.
agriculturel exports and imports since the legislation will require the
EPA to lower tolerances below the current Codex and World Health
Organiztion levels. Is the Food Quality Protection Act a trade barrier in
disguise that will raise prices and also favor organically grown and IPM
"responsibly" grown products?
I just grasping at straws with this Act. Is just too soon to tell what
this will do?