The LA Grows Project aims to assist neighborhoods within the City of Los
Angeles to start and sustain community gardens. It is a project of the Los
Angeles Community Garden Council, which is composed of representatives of
public and non-profit agencies that include the LA Conservation Corps, the
Common Ground Garden Program, the LA Community Food Security network, the
Interfaith Hunger Coalition, LA Harvest, the Natural Resources Conservation
Service, PACE, the Los Angeles Urban Resources Partnership, and the World
Sustainable Agriculture Association.
The LA Grows Project Coordinator will institute a city-wide community
gardening campaign focusing on low-income areas, aiming to establish a
minimum of 10 new community gardens per year. The coordinator will also
coordinate support for existing community gardens. The coordinator will be an
employee of the Los Angeles Conservation Corps, but the position is
structured to function under daily supervision from the Common Ground Garden
Program, with general direction from the Garden Council membership.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Publicize LA Grows services.
2. Meet with community groups to help develop and plan their garden project.
3. Assist community groups to design and conduct outreach campaigns for
garden participant recruitment.
4. Work with city agencies such as the Department of Water and Power, and the
Department of Public Works to coordinate servcies needed for community
5. Assist garden groups to secure leases and insurance coverage for their
6. Secure Garden Council partners' project assistance as needed.
7. Coordinate efforts closely with the Los Angeles Conservation Corps' Garden
8. Work with Common Ground Master Gardener volunteers to develop workshops
and access follow-up assistance for individual gardens.
9. Assist new gardens in establishing garden clubs for long-term garden
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
2. Proven team player abilities, skilled at building coalitions.
3. At least basic gardening knowledge required.
4. Project management, budgeting and multiple priority management skills
5. Computer text processing, spreadsheet and graphics proficiency skills.
6. Bilingual (Spanish) fluency preferred.
Valid California drivers license, auto insurance and reliable vehicle; proven
self-starter with strong communications and community organizing experience;
bachelors degree preferred.
Salary and Benefits: $30,000- $33,000 ( depending upon experience)
Health benefits, 80 hours vacation/yr, paid holidays, sick leave.
Application Deadline: End of business, September 30, 1996. Cover letter and
Human Resources ( LA Grows Coordinator)
Los Angeles Conservation Corps
PO Box 15868
Los Angeles, CA 90015
The Los Angeles Conservation Corps is an equal opportunity employer.