We are looking for an overview, or primer, to orient lay people
about what is going on in U.S. agriculture today. The document
and/or documents need(s) to help answer the following questions.
1. What are the economic realities, trends, threats and
opportunities for farmers and for those people who are
directly engaged in the agriculture industry?
2. How are wheat, oil seeds, soybean, rice, corn and other
P.L. 480 farm commodities managed and marketed? I am
primarily interested in the economic aspect of this
industry, rather than yields, pest control, storage, etc.
3. What are US Agricultural trends for the near future?
4. I am trying to understand how the US agricultural system
works today. Therfore, I would like to learn the relative
importance of the various agricultural sub-sectors and the
key players in each? Of these elements and participants, to
what degree do they have influence over the entire process?
5. Who has the ability to influence legislation and why?
Keep in mind that the audience for this information has no grasp
of agricultural jargon or any technical expertise in the field.
Thank you for your help .